Serving in the Canada Edmonton Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Week 61, 11/28/16



Hello cuties!

This week was pretty stellar.  THE RETURN is going well!  There still isn't a whole lot of teaching going on here, but it is a good challenge.  I already know the area like the back of my hand, we tract all the time, but our area has a plethora of townhouses that are just begging to be tracted out, so we don't mind.  I am a big advocate of townhouse tracting.  Townhouses are as Nacho Libre would say: "tha baaaest".



First thing is first: STEAK CHALLENGE.  Reader discretion is advised. Tuesday night we had one last supper with an awesome couple down in Leduc.  I kind of talked about it last week, but as part of a food challenge that a lot of missionaries attempt, I ate (in this order):
   -a little fudge coated ice cream bar
   -a 42.7 ounce steak
   -2 biscuits
   -a bowl of salad, mashed potatoes, and corn
   -another little fudge ice cream bar
   -1/4 of a lemon pie COVERED in whipped cream
   -a large marble slab chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich

Yeah, I know, that is pretty darn gross.  I hit the first wall towards the end of the steak and vegetables when Elder Klunker puked out ridiculous amount (and thus he was disqualified), that grossed me out pretty good and made it pretty tough to continue, but I soldiered on.  I hit the second wall during the pie, cuz lemon pie is gross, and my third wall during the ice cream sandwich.  I don't know how I downed it, but I did.  I ended up gaining 4.4 pounds start to finish, and I had the meat sweats for a few days after.  But I got my membership card and it was totally worth it!




Saturday I went on exchanges with an Elder who has a few struggles to say the least.  It was a good day though, I feel like I was able to build a pretty good relationship with him and help him out a bit.  That is definitely my favourite thing about being in a leadership assignment, helping and ministering to other missionaries.  We taught a great lesson to a less active who straight up told us she wants to come back to church but she just needs some help.

Sunday at church I got to see a ton of awesome members from my last area, since Rutherford, Greenfield, and River Valley all meet in the same building.  I literally felt like I knew almost everyone in the building haha!  That night we did splits for a few hours with some other elders in the zone to help them out with a few things.  We kind of just did the same old stuff, tracting, talking to people on the street, and stopping by potentials, having some good conversations with each other while we were at it.  I wish I had more exciting things to report about but thats basically all this week was.

Yesterday while tracting, a super nice muslim lady gave us a bag of like 6 huge kit-kat bars cuz she felt bad for us knocking on doors in the cold.  Muslim people are so nice.

We have been trying to let everyone know about the new Light the World Christmas initiative. I love the new video!  It shows how being Christlike really is within our reach, and how simple that can be.  We have been asking around for service opportunities a bunch, but EVERYONE in our area is loaded and has everything taken care of apparently.  Elder Klunker and I have gotten tons of entertainment out of marvelling at the size of SO MANY of the houses in the area as we drive from place to place.  We are probably the first or second most affluent area in the mission.  All these millionaires hire people to take care of all their service needs so for the day of service on Dec. 1 we are planning on donating blood -muahahaha!

Most awesome couple in all of Canada!
Well that's it for this week, fam.  It doesn't sound like too eventful of a week just what I wrote, but we are working super hard and touching people's lives here and there so I'm happy 😊. Hope you all had an awesome Thanksgiving!  

Canada doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving but we had our own feast...as if we needed more food  :)

Weekly Scripture: Alma 34:38
38 That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.


No comments:

Post a Comment