Serving in the Canada Edmonton Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Week 45, 8/3/16 (out of order)

Hey homies. This week has felt like the slowest week since the beginning of my mission just because Elder Hlavaty and I have been waiting and wondering so much about what would happen with us with transfers. The much anticipated and speculated news came yesterday morning and.... Holy freak.  


Our little Army of Helaman

I guess I'll get to some highlights before I spill the news.  This week was busy!! Running two areas is full of a lot of appointments and driving between areas, it's kind of nice to have a fully booked schedule again.  Wednesday after Elder Jenson left for High Level, we met with Mustafa again, and it was kind of frustrating/depressing. Frustrating because of the language barrier and because he forgot like everything we taught him last time, depressing because we were able to see that he isn't really interested in finding out if what we teach is true, he is just a nice friendly committed Muslim guy wanting to compare our doctrine with other Christian doctrine. Oh well, we will keep stopping by.  We weren't able to meet with Zeke at all this week, there was a huge rain and thunderstorm on Wednesday that knocked the power out and caused our appointment to be cancelled, and they haven't been coming to church for the past few weeks so his baptism probably won't be on August 13.  


Recent convert Brandon with the model plane we have been helping him build

Saturday was crazy. We had a shift scheduled to help collect donations for Edmonton's food bank at the Heritage Days Festival. They do Heritage Days every year here. It's basically a big culture festival where you can go to all these different tents that represent different countries and buy some authentic food from that country, get a feel for the culture, there are some performances, and it's just a fun time. You really get a feel for how culturally diverse Edmonton is. Anyways, we were at our shift for maybe 20 minutes when it started to sprinkle rain, and then sprinkle harder, then there was lightning in the distance, then it started POURING and they evacuated the park. We missionaries didn't really have any way to get a ride, so we just walked all the way back to the institute building where we initially met up with all the other missionaries to go to the park. It wasn't that bad, it was pretty much a 25 minute cold shower with proselyting clothes on, and with the constant fear of getting struck by lightning. Unfortunately I didnt get any pictures:(  

This next paragraph isn't super important if you're running short on time, it's just a funny story:  Saturday and Sunday we were in another tripan, this time with an elder who just got his visa, so he could now go to his assigned mission, and he was just staying with us till his plane left. His name was Elder Payne (shout out to the real Elder Francis Payne). Elder Hlavaty and I played a pretty funny prank on him haha.... We told him about how I sleep walk all the time and I have uncontrollable rage when if anyone wakes me up. That night Hlavaty and I were up talking till like 11:30 anyways, and he was sleeping on the floor outside the bedroom, and we heard him snoring so got up and totally fake sleep walked out to where he was and turned on the sink and opened the fridge and just stared blankly into it for like 5 minutes not even kidding. Then I closed it and messed around in the pantry and opened the oven and made some jibberish sleep talk at him and went back to bed hahaha he woke up and was super confused and scared. I'm so surprised I kept a straight face the whole time. It's probably one of those "you had to be there" moments, but Elder Hlavaty and I have been laughing about it a bunch.  


Ok so transfer news. Drum roll please.... Where is elder Bonny going??? NOWHERE. I am staying in Greenfield. There's quiet a few catches though.  1. I am going to be training, I'm pretty excited about that:) 2. I am going to be the district leader 3. We get a car and we will covering the Rutherford Ward as well  So I'm basically whitewash training and a new district leader. The next three months is going to be pretty challenging. I have to be honest I was really hoping to come and be with Elder Hlavaty in River Valley.  He and I have a ton in common and have really enjoyed being comps for a few weeks.  There were tons of hints pointing towards that happening but we guessed wrong. That would've been awesome but I guess the Lord has more challenging things in mind for me, and that's something to be excited about.  

Well that's it for this week. Get ready for some crazy stuff in next weeks update. Love you all:)  

Weekly Scripture: 1 Nephi 3:7 7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
    Elder Weston Bonny🇨🇦

No comments:

Post a Comment